What happens when a year is locked?
In certain circumstances a site administrator may wish to lock a year(s) so that its contents can no longer be edited. The Planning application allows a site administrator to lock a single or multiple years. This will then put the selected year(s) in a read-only mode. A users permission's are overridden when viewing a locked year and all data will be presented as read-only.
Why might an institution lock a year?
- Site maintenance is taking place.
- The institution would like to archive data in preparation for accreditation visit.
- The institution would like to archive data in preparation for program review cycle.
- The assessment loop has been closed with all end-of-year reports processed and the institution would now like to ensure historical data accuracy and integrity.
What does a user see when a year is locked?
The locked icon with appear across an institution's Planning site for all years and all data. We highly encourage site administrators to notify users what a locked year means and when years will be locked to ensure all users have submitted their data.
Another important item to note is when a year is locked, a site's users will have access to copy an item. In the screenshot below we can see the user see the option to "Copy Institutional Mission." As always, we encourage you to speak with your Consultant before making such changes and their potential impact.
*How to lock a year(s):
*Only an institution's site administrator has access to lock a year(s).
- 1. Site administrators should navigate to the "Administration" tab.
- 2. Click on the "Settings" sub-tab.
- 3. Click on the "Academic Years" sub-tab.
- 4. Click on the year's name to expand the additional menu.
- 5. Choose to "Lock this Fiscal Year only" or "Lock this Fiscal Year and all earlier years".
- 6. Click the blue "Save Changes" button.
Unlocking a year follows the same steps in the same order and you will choose the "Unlocked" option.